Total is calling up all entrepreneurs with projects ideas that address social, community challenges to enter the 2nd Edition of the Total Startupper of the year challenge.
The first Challenge was in 34 African countries, this year’s has been extended to a total of 55 countries around the world.
According to the Total Website the challenge seeks to support innovative ideas from entrepreneurs.
“We aim to support good ideas and projects that help address a widespread problem affecting communities in your country. It could be about providing educational opportunities, reducing child mortality, improving public health, developing access to electricity in rural areas, improving road safety on the roads or building houses with eco-friendly materials — in fact, anything that could make life better in your country,”
The Selection Criteria
- The project or business owner must not be more than 35 years old.
- The participant must be a citizen of the country where he/she participates.
- The project can be an idea or a start-up created within the last two years.
- The project should offer a practical way of addressing a public health, safety, education, accessibility or other issue affecting local communities.
- Innovation isn’t necessarily revolutionary, involving something brand new or a total transformation. It can be incremental as well, improving an existing technology, product or service, or even just the way things are done.
- Projects that demonstrate feasibility and have the potential to benefit a broader public.
Rewards and Benefits
There will be 3 winners from each country will receive financial support, extensive publicity and coaching. From among these 3 winners per country, we will select grand winners by region, who will be offered additional support
Secondly, a Top Female Entrepreneur award has been introduced. During the first Challenge, women accounted for almost 25% of the winners, even though they only made up 13% of the applicants. With this special award this year, we hope to give the women entrepreneurs an extra push to take part. It is also aligned with other Total initiatives for women.
Lastly, there is the Startup For Better Energy where the startup has a possible partnership with Total in their country.
The Timeline for the competition will be:
Registration closes on the 13th of November 2018 followed by moderation in two weeks. Competitors with more shares and likes on social media will qualify for the top 100. Top 15 selections will be made after qualitative evaluation and pitches from competitors. In 4 weeks winners will be determined.
Click this link for Registration