Below are the major highlights from the Abridged Postal & Telecommunication Sector Performance Report for the 2nd Quarter of 2018.
1. Fixed telephone subscriptions increased by 1.7% to reach 263,962 compared to the first quarter of 2018. The fixed tele-density remained at 1.9%.
2. The mobile penetration rate increased by 3.1% to reach 87.7% following a 3.6% growth in active mobile subscriptions.
3. The internet penetration rate increased by 2.8% to reach 51.9% following a 5.7% growth in active internet subscriptions.
4. Fixed voice traffic increased by 10.9% to record 116.4 million minutes compared to 105 million recorded in the first quarter of 2018.
5. Mobile voice traffic increased by 9.1% to record 1.2 billion minutes from 1.1 billion recorded in the first quarter of 2018.
6. Mobile Internet data usage increased by 16.9% to record 6.1 million MB, from 5.2 million MB recorded in the first quarter of 2018.
7. Used international incoming internet bandwidth capacity increased by 44.1% to record 80,546Mbps from 55,885Mbps recorded in the first quarter of 2018.
8. Used international outgoing internet bandwidth capacity increased by 56.6% to record 24,733Mbps in the second quarter of 2018 from 15,790Mbps recorded in the first quarter of 2018.
9. International incoming and outgoing traffic reduced by 6% and 13% for the fixed operator and 10% and 11% for mobile operators respectively.
10. Inbound and outbound roaming traffic decreased by 28% and 24% respectively compared to the first quarter of 2018.
11. Active mobile money subscriptions grew by 6%, with value of mobile money transactions registering a 66% increase from the previous quarter.
12. Revenue by the fixed telephone network increased by 22% to record $34.5 million from $28.3 million recorded in the previous quarter.
13. Revenue by mobile operators increased by 19.7% to record $292.9 from $244.7 million recorded in the first quarter of 2018.
14. Revenues by IAPs declined by 21.4% to record $62.4 million from $79.5 million recorded in the previous quarter.
15. Revenue by Postal and Courier operators declined by 1.1% to record $9 million from $9.1 million recorded in the first quarter of 2018.